In January 2014 BSMHFT joined forces with West Midlands Police and West Midlands Ambulance Service to launch a pilot Street Triage scheme. This sees a mental health nurse, paramedic and police officer together in one vehicle responding to 999 calls, where it’s believed people need immediate mental health support.
The model of the triage implementation has been:
- A Street Triage car will work from 10am until 3am seven days a week
- The service is staffed by four mental health nurses, six police constables, one police sergeant and three ambulance paramedics
- Deployed in a plain ambulance response vehicle
- Creates a vehicle able to deal with physical and mental health issues
- Deployment under guidance of police/ambulance service control rooms